Pages

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cake

Hello everyone, long time no blog.

I am constantly cooking but I never get time to blog.   I am going to attempt to write down more of my recipes and blog them to make them easier to share.  I think the biggest reason that I haven't blogged in a while (aside from not having time) is that I very rarely use a recipe.  I know that sounds weird, but I just don't like following recipes.  On the other hand, I have several friends that will not attempt to make something unless they have a recipe and unless they have every single ingredient listed.

I don't have time to be one of those bloggers that writes a novel for every recipe.  Truth be told, I never read those recipes.  I will try to post as many pictures as I can as I do enjoy seeing step by step pictures but I can only do what time allows.

Tomorrow we are hosting our cousin cookout.  I believe I have 30 cousins who I rarely see, so I wanted to make something special.





Cake:
2 sticks butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
4 eggs
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups pureed strawberry*

Chocolate Covered Strawberries
6 - 10 whole strawberries, washed and dried
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup heavy cream

Chocolate Frosting
Remaining chocolate from dipped strawberries
1 stick butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon heavy cream

Strawberry Filling
1/3 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons strawberry jam
1/2 cup sliced strawberries

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Butter two 8 inch round cake pans and line with parchment paper.**

In a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar and fluffy.  Add the vanilla and salt and mix until incorporated.  Add the eggs, one at a time, making sure the first is fully incorporated before adding the next.

In a medium mixing bowl stir together the flour and baking soda.  To the creamed butter, add 1/3 of the flour mixture.  Then stir in 1/3 of the strawberry puree.  Alternate between the flour mixture and the strawberry puree, ending with he strawberry.  Divide the batter between the two prepared cake pans and bake for 25 - 30 minutes.  Be sure not to overcook the cake as it will lose it's moisture.  Run a butterknife around the edges of the cake and turn out onto a cooling rack.  Remove the parchment paper immediately and allow to cool to room temperature.


Wash and dry the strawberries.  Microwave the chocolate and cream until just melted (about 1 minute) and stir until smooth and glossy.  Dip each strawberry and place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.  Refrigerate until firm.  Reserve the remaining chocolate and allow to cool.


Combine the remaining chocolate mixture with the butter.  Add the rest of the ingredients and whip until smooth.  Fill a piping bag fitted with a large star tip with the chocolate frosting.  Pipe a rope of frosting around the edge of the bottom cake.


In a large bowl whip the cream until it forms stiff peaks.  Stir in the jam and spoon onto the bottom layer of cake.  Top with chopped strawberries and place the top layer of cake on top.



Using a small amount of frosting, "crumb coat" the outside.  Move the cake to the refrigerator so that the frosting can firm up.

Frost the cake with an even layer, smoothing as you go.  Arrange the chocolate covered strawberries on the top and use the remaining frosting to pipe swirls around the edge of the cake.  Store in the refrigerator.




* I used about 3 cups of thawed frozen strawberries, blended.

** To cut a parchment circle, using a piece of parchment roughly the size of your pan, fold the parchment in half and then in half again. Next fold in half to make a triangle and fold one more.  Flip your pan over and place the tip of the triangle in the center of the pan.  Cut around the edge of the pan and unfold.

If you would like to make the cake a more appetizing color, add some red food coloring.

Also, it is easier to cut the cake if you leave it at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment