Pages

Monday, May 21, 2018

Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon Blueberry Frosting

Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon Blueberry Frosting

Low Carb/Keto/Gluten Free/ Sugar Free



My husband's birthday just passed and I wanted to make a low carb cupcake that could pass as a regular cupcake.  I wanted to crumb to be just right and the frosting to taste like more than just a sugar bomb.  These cupcakes did not disappoint.  Not only did my husband and I enjoy them, but the children and adults not following kept enjoyed them as well and didn't know they were low carb until I said so.  I wanted until my mother in-law was done eating her cupcake to tell her that they are made with coconut flour!  For years I have been trying to get her to eat coconut oil and she can always tell when I've snuck some in.  Not this time though, she loved them as well.  I did attempt to use almond flour in my chocolate cupcakes but I ended up pitching them and starting over with coconut flour.  Coconut flour gives it the genuine cupcake texture, you need to use far less, and it is less expensive.  That's a win all around!



I love making cupcakes probably even more than I like eating them.  I have made so many variations and I always get raving reviews on how much my frosting tastes like real fruit.  Well friends, that's because it always is real fruit!  I usually simmer the fruit on the stove until it is concentrated but I have lost may batches that way.  If you leave them for a couple of minutes they will burn quickly.  This time I decided to roast them in the oven and I will never go back to my old method again!

This recipe makes 6 cupcakes.  When I make cupcakes I like to make at least two flavors and with our family trying to reduce sweets consumption (even if they are wholesome ingredients) I would rather we didn't have too many extra cupcakes in the house.  Feel free to double, triple, or quadruple this recipe.

Ingredients:

Blueberry Puree:
1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1/2 lemon, juiced

Cupcakes:
1/3 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup sweetener (see my post on sweeteners)
3 eggs, room temperature
1/4 cup butter, melted and at room temperature
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 lemon, juice and zest 

Frosting:
3 ounces room temperature cream cheese
1 tablespoon butter, softened
3 tablespoons blueberry puree
1 cup powdered sweetener (see my post on sweeteners)
1/2 lemon, zest

Instructions:

Zest one lemon, set aside.  Juice 1 lemon and divide in 2.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In an 8x8 baking dish add the blueberries and 1/2 lemon juice and bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until most of the juice from the blueberries has evaporated.  Allow to cool and blend into a puree.  Set aside for the frosting.

In a bowl mix together the butters, sweetener, eggs, and vanilla.  Add the coconut flour, baking powder, sea salt, and juice and zest of half a lemon and mix for 2 minutes.  Divide the mixture in to 6 muffin tins lined with baking cups or greased and bake at 375 degrees for 18 - 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.  Remove to a rack and allow to cool.

In a bowl whip together the frosting ingredients until light and fluffy.  Top each cooled cupcake with frosting and enjoy.  These can sit at room temperature for a couple of hours but should be refrigerated if you are making them in advance.

Nutritional Information

6 servings
Calories: 205     Fat: 17.5g     Net Carbs: 3.1g    Protein: 6g

Nutritional information calculated from SparkPeople.com



No comments:

Post a Comment